Between Shimmer’s recent 10th Anniversary weekend and more and more Shimmer regulars showing up on NXT I thought this would be a good time to do a quick spotlight on some shows that are good jumping on points for new viewers to check out this amazing promotion. You really can’t go wrong with any of the Shimmer library, and there’s MANY more volumes I could point to, but here are just a few particularly impressive shows to start with.
All three (and many more) are available for purchase at Shimmer’s website.
Edit 7/14/17: It’s been wonderful to continue to see some of the incredible athletes from Shimmer get opportunities in WWE/NXT. I’ve updated this article with notes as indicated to point out appearances of more talent that has debuted since I wrote this, including numerous wrestlers who are part of the Mae Young Classic.
Why it’s great in general: The undercard has a lot of interesting, strong match ups including Serena Deeb vs. Yumi Ohka, Jessie McKay vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto, Athena vs. Mercedes Martinez, etc. The top four matches are all great and wrap up several ongoing angles while setting up a couple intriguing new ones. At the very top the most successful tag team in Shimmer’s history gets a chance to regain their titles, and Cheerleader Melissa gets a long awaited second title match against Madison Eagles.
Why it’s good for new viewers: I’ll admit this one is a little odd, as again it features the end of several ongoing angles. But the background is well explained in each case, and the payoffs really do work well even standing on their own, making this a really strong show. The big draw to NXT/WWE viewers will be Britani Knight (Paige) facing her mother Sweet Saraya Knight in Britani’s last Shimmer match. Jessie McKay (Billie Kay), Leva Bates (Blue Pants), Serena Deeb (Serena), Kana (Asuka), Davina Rose (Bayley), and Athena (Ember Moon) also all appear on this volume.
- Kellie Skater vs. Davina Rose
- Taylor Made vs. Veda Scott
- Tomoka Nakagawa vs. Kalamity
- Nevaeh and Sassy Stephie vs. Ashley Lane and Mia Yim
- Serena Deeb vs. Yumi Ohka
- Allison Danger, Christina Von Eerie, Leva Bates and MsChif vs. Bonesaw, She Nay Nay, Melanie Cruise and Mena Libra
- Jessie McKay vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto
- Sara Del Rey vs. Courtney Rush
- Athena vs. Mercedes Martinez
- Kana vs. Lufisto
- Britani Knight vs. Saraya Knight
- Shimmer Tag Team Title Match: Ayumi Kurihara and Ayako Hamada (c) vs The Canadian Ninjas (Potia Perez and Nicole Matthews)
- Shimmer Title Match: Madison Eagles (c) vs. Cheerleader Melissa
Edit 7/14/17: Mae Young Classic participant Mia Yim shows up here, although she’s gets much more of a chance to shine on a show I spotlight later.
Why it’s great in general: Volume 50 has a nice variety of matches that do a good job of showcasing what Shimmer has to offer. The main event features a lot of the biggest stars at the time in a match that both pays tribute to Shimmer history and expertly weaves in several ongoing stories. In addition the co-main event is an amazing match between Japanese superstars Ayako Hamada and Kana, which is my personal all time favorite match in Shimmer (and which I talk about in depth here).
Why it’s good for new viewers: This is another good spotlight for several wrestlers currently appearing on NXT, including signees and enhancement talent, so would be nice for people who’ve seen them there and are looking to check out their previous work. Kana (Asuka), Davina Rose (Bayley), Athena (Ember Moon), Leva Bates (Blue Pants), and Shazza McKenzie all appear on this volume. And again with the two spectacular main events and an undercard filled with interesting match ups this show is a nice snapshot of what Shimmer is.
- Veda Scott vs. Miss Natural
- Shazza McKenzie vs. Santana Garrett
- Sassy Stephie vs. Su Yung
- Taylor Made vs. Courtney Rush
- Cherry Bomb vs. Christina Von Eerie vs. Kalamity vs. Ryo Mizunami
- Rhia O’Reilly vs. Davina Rose
- Hiroyo Matsumoto vs. Melanie Cruise
- Athena vs. Tomoka Nakagawa
- Yumi Ohka vs. Kellie Skater
- Ayako Hamada vs. Kana
- Elimination Match: Allison Danger, Leva Bates, Cheerleader Melissa, Lufisto and MsChif vs. Saraya Knight, Mercedes Martinez, Lexie Fyfe, Portia Perez and Nicole Matthews.
Edit 7/14/17: Mae Young Classic participants Mercedes Martinez and Santana Garrett appear on this show.
Why it’s great in general: Volume 67 is possibly the best overall show in Shimmer history. Two of the greatest wrestlers in the world face in the main event as Kana gets her first (and only) shot at the Shimmer Championship, and the undercard is just as impressive. Rising star Nicole Savoy makes her debut here, Evie and Kay Lee Ray have an amazing contest, there’s a mind-blowingly great Joshi 6-woman tag (more on that here), Ozaki and Saraya beat each other senseless, Eagles and Matthews continue their “friendly” rivalry, and much more. Great stuff from start to finish, and a nice variety of matches and styles.
Check out my full show review here.
Why it’s good for new viewers: Besides featuring the best Shimmer has to offer, this show sets up a lot of angles for the next several dvds. It’s the perfect spot to jump on and watch forward to catch up to the most recent volumes or just to see a lot of the current roster and what Shimmer is like at present.
- The Kimber Bombs (Cherry Bomb and Kimber Lee) vs. KC Cassidy and Bambi Hall
- Heidi Lovelace vs. Nicole Savoy
- Crazy Mary Dobson vs. Sassie Stephie
- Athena vs. Nikki Storm
- Portia Perez vs. Courtney Rush
- Nevaeh vs. Jenny Rose
- Mayumi Ozaki vs. Saraya Knight
- Evie vs. Kay Lee Ray
- Lufisto vs. Rhia O’Reilly
- Nicole Matthews vs. Madison Eagles
- 3G and Mia Yim vs Tsukasa Fujimoto, Kaori Yoneyama and Akino
- Shimmer Title Match: Cheerleader Melissa (c) vs. Kana
Edit 7/14/17: This is a particularly great show for those wanting to check out a bunch of the new faces in NXT and the Mae Young Classic, often against each other. Kimber Lee (Abbey Laith) and KC Cassiday (Peyton Royce) face of on opposite sides of the opening tag match. Nicole Savoy makes her Shimmer debut against Heidi Lovelace (Ruby Riot). Athena (Ember Moon) faces Nikki Storm (Nikki Cross). Evie (Dakota Kai) and Kay Lee Ray tear the house down. In addition to all of that Crazy Mary (Sarah Logan) appears, and Mia Yim and Kana (Asuka) are in two of my favorite matches in all of Shimmer history.
Again this is just a small sample of the incredible wrestling Shimmer has put out. Check out more of my thoughts on some of Shimmer’s best matches, and a live perspective on the 10th Anniversary shows.
Again, all currently available Shimmer dvds can be purchased here.