This is Nathan Garret’s seventh adventure, and the last book in the Hellequin series. Do not start here – go back to the beginning.
Crimes Against Magic (book 1)
Born of Hatred (book 2)
With Silent Screams (book 3)
Prison of Hope (book 4)
Lies Ripped Open (book 5)
Promise of Wrath (book 6)
This is going to be short, and free of any plot details. It will contain sentiments that in some sense qualify as general spoilers, so consider this a quasi-warning.
- McHugh’s writing continues to be excellent.
- Several major mysteries of the series are addressed.
- The book was engaging and interesting.
The less so:
- A couple of the reveals were what I least wanted.
- I despise bait and switch.
- I feel like I just read a seven book fucking prologue.
I still adore the series and highly recommend it, but I’m admittedly a bundle of mixed feelings on where things ended up right now. I found this book excellent and infuriating in equal measure.